I made Lactation cookies last night. I was searching all over the internet for a healthy lactation cookie recipe. Most recipes I found were basic oatmeal cookies (unhealthy and filled with sugar) with a few other items thrown in! I wanted to make something healthy that contained some galactagogues (food that increases milk supply=oats, brewer's yeast, whole grains).
They were delicious. Unfortunately, they did not stay together as cookies or bars. They were very crumbly so I turned it into GRANOLA. We ate it over yogurt. It would be good on ice cream or in a bowl with milk. Or just with a spoon. Or with your fingers!
Anyone can make and eat this yummy recipe. If you are not breastfeeding, this granola will not make you produce milk so DON'T WORRY!
If you are have a low milk supply, do not assume that eating this granola wi...
THINKING ABOUT BREASTFEEDING? Call or email Susanna for a pre-natal breastfeeding evaluation and information session.
Top 25 reasons why breastfeeding is better than formula for you, your baby and the environment
1. It is CHEAPER!. An estimate of formula required for one year is approximately 1200 dollars for the basic formula (http://bfcaa.com/cost-of-formula-feeding/) and that doesn't include the costs associated with bottles, bottle cleaners, nipples and bottle warmers.
2. It is quicker. Breast milk is readily available and is always at the right temperature. You don't have to make any bottles or warm anything up.
3. It is portable and doesn't require any additions supplies. You won't forget anything on your way out the door.
4. Breastfeeding helps pass meconium (the first black, tarry poop).
5. Breastfeeding helps Mom loose weight. It takes approximately an additional 500 calories a day to exclusively breastfeed. (https://k...